The Village Academy

The Village Academy is a group of town, city and village schools that have joined together to provide the very best education for the children in our care and where we believe that education is very much a matter of the individual.

Visit Site

Additional Educational Needs

In addition to the information below, further information regarding our Accessibility Plan and Policy for Special Educational Needs can be found at:


What types of SEN do we provide for?
The school will provide for pupils with SEND including:

·         Speech and language difficulties

·         Cognition and learning, for example, dyslexia, dyspraxia,

·         Social, emotional and mental health difficulties, for example, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), 

·         Sensory and/or physical needs, for example, visual impairments, hearing impairments, processing difficulties, epilepsy 

·         Moderate/severe/profound and multiple learning difficulties

·         Specific Learning Difficulties, such as Dyslexia

How do we identify and assess pupils with SEN?
We will assess each pupil’s current skills and levels of attainment on entry, which will build on previous settings and Key Stages, where appropriate. Class teachers will make regular assessments of progress for all pupils and identify those whose progress:

·         Is significantly slower than that of their peers starting from the same baseline

·         Fails to match or better the child’s previous rate of progress

·         Fails to close the attainment gap between the child and their peers

·         Widens the attainment gap

This may include progress in areas other than attainment, for example, social needs.

Slow progress and low attainment will not automatically mean a pupil is recorded as having SEN. 

When deciding whether special educational provision is required, we will start with the desired outcomes, including the expected progress and attainment, and the views and the wishes of the pupil and their parents. We will use this to determine the support that is needed and whether we can provide it by adapting our core offer, or whether something different or additional is needed.

Who is our special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO) and how can he/she be contacted?
Mrs Fay Oliver

tel: 01795521362

What is our approach to teaching pupils with SEN?
Teachers are responsible and accountable for the progress and development of all the pupils in their class.

High quality teaching is our first step in responding to pupils who have SEN. This will be differentiated for individual pupils. The use of Kent Mainstream Core Standards are used as a guide to ensure Leaners SEND needs are met, where possible, by in class Quality Teaching.

We will also provide the following interventions:

Toe by Toe

Talk for Thought

Sound progress

Precision Teaching

Bespoke maths & English teacher led interventions

Play therapy


Lego therapy

Clever Hands/Fingers

Working Memory programmes

How do we adapt the curriculum and learning environment?
We make the following adaptations to ensure all pupils’ needs are met:

·         Differentiating our curriculum to ensure all pupils are able to access it, for example, by grouping, 1:1 work, teaching style, content of the lesson, etc.

·         Adapting our resources and staffing

·         Using recommended aids, such as laptops, coloured overlays or coloured books and papers, visual timetables, larger font, etc.

·         Differentiating our teaching, for example, giving longer processing times, pre-teaching of key vocabulary, reading instructions aloud, etc.

·         Class curriculums adapted to the strengths and areas for development of the individual cohort, nurturing curriculum adaptations.

How do we enable pupils with SEN to engage in activities with other pupils who do not have SEN?
The school overcomes all potential barriers by planning events and activities carefully in advance to ensure all children can participate.   All of our extra-curricular activities and school visits are available to all our pupils, including our before-and after-school clubs.

All pupils are encouraged to go on our all school events and excursions.

No pupil is ever excluded from taking part in these activities because of their SEN or disability.

How do we consult parents of pupils with SEN and involve them in their child’s education?
We will have an early discussion with the pupil and their parents when identifying whether they need special educational provision. These conversations will make sure that:

·         Everyone develops a good understanding of the pupil’s areas of strength and difficulty

·         We take into account the parents’ concerns

·         Everyone understands the agreed outcomes sought for the child

·         Everyone is clear on what the next steps are

Notes of these early discussions will be added to the pupil’s record and given to their parents.

We will formally notify parents when it is decided that a pupil will receive SEN support.

How do we consult pupils with SEN and involve them in their education?
We will discuss with children their education and how the school can best support their need (“What helps you learn best?”). This might be part of an individual discussion, group discussion or discussions with the child and their family. Children will have regular opportunities to speak with their class teacher about what they enjoy doing and where they may need additional help. Children have input into their inclusion passport.
How do we assess and review pupils’ progress towards their outcomes?
We will follow the graduated approach and the four-part cycle of assess, plan, do, review. 

The class or subject teacher will work with the SENCO to carry out a clear analysis of the pupil’s needs. This will draw on:

·         The teacher’s assessment and experience of the pupil

·         Their previous progress and attainment and behaviour

·         Other teachers’ assessments, where relevant

·         The individual’s development in comparison to their peers and national data

·         The views and experience of parents

·         Views and experience from existing setting or school, if in year.

·         The pupil’s own views

·         Advice from external support services, if relevant

The assessment will be reviewed regularly as part of the school monitoring systems.

All teachers and support staff who work with the pupil will be made aware of their needs, the outcomes sought, the support provided, and any teaching strategies or approaches that are required. We will regularly review the effectiveness of the support and interventions and their impact on the pupil’s progress.

How do we support pupils moving between different phases of education?
The school holds transition days between year groups in order for teachers and pupils to become familiarized with expectations and new classrooms. Where appropriate, additional transition days, experiences and/or additional resources will be planned for to ensure a smooth progression to the next year group and phase. Transition plans which may include visual support may be used where suitable.


For secondary transfer, we will share information with the school, college, or other setting the pupil is moving to. We will agree with parents and pupils which information will be shared as part of this. Typically children will be offered at least a day’s transition to familiarize themselves with the environment. The school will work alongside the secondary school to plan activities which match the needs of the pupil.

How do we support pupils preparing for adulthood?
The school has a range of curriculum adaptations and interventions, such as Play Therapy, which seek to support children in becoming independent learners. Recruitment fairs and assemblies prepare children for a work life and provide opportunities to find out about career paths they are interested in. Homework supports independent learning so that they can organize and schedule their own work time. School council meetings support children in understanding democracy and all British Values.
How do we support pupils with SEN to improve their emotional and social development?
Include information about extra pastoral support arrangements for listening to the views of pupils with SEN and measures to prevent bullying. We provide support for pupils to improve their emotional and social development in the following ways:

·         Pupils with SEN are encouraged to be part of the school council and to hold positions of pupil leadership within the school

·         The FLO works with families to provide additional support through in school counselling and therapy services as well as access to Early Help

·         The whole school curriculum (including PSHE and Digital Literacy curriculum) takes into account the development of emotional and social development
What expertise and training do our staff have to support pupils with SEN?
Our SENCO has begun her accredited SENCO course and is new to her role this year. 

We have a team of 11 teaching assistants, including 1 higher level teaching assistants (HLTAs) who are trained to deliver SEN provision.

In the last academic year, all staff have undertaken training in restorative justice and ASD awareness.

We use specialist staff for speech and language programmes, dyslexia screening, well-being and welfare sessions, and play therapy sessions available. Specialist training is always provided for staff supporting child/ren with specialist needs.

How will we secure specialist expertise?
Should there be a need for identified specialist expertise then the school will work with the Local Inclusion Forum Team (LIFT)to identify and allocate the most suitable specialist teacher within the area. In addition to this, the school makes use of referrals for pediatrician support, Speech and Language therapists, Mental Health support, Occupational Therapy, school nursing and other available, external agency support services.
How will we secure equipment and facilities to support pupils with SEN?
If adaptive equipment and facilities are required the school will quickly follow the recommendations set out by the assessing professional purchase/rent/loan and allocate the equipment required. The school works closely with the leading professional in order to ensure the appropriate equipment is in place as and when it is needed.
How do we involve other organisations in meeting the needs of pupils with SEN and supporting their families?
The school will work with a range of outside agencies to support pupils with SEN and their families. Typically these will include:

Early Help referrals, Inclusion Support Services, Young Carers, Attendance services, In-school Family Liaison Officer, outside charitable organisations.
How do we evaluate the effectiveness of our SEN provision?
We evaluate the effectiveness of provision for pupils with SEN by:

·         Reviewing pupils’ individual progress towards their goals each term, often using a Personalised Provision Plan

·         Reviewing the impact of interventions after a maximum 6 weeks, they may be adapted more quickly to ensure they remain challenging and effective

·         Using pupil questionnaires

·         Monitoring by the SENCO

·         Using provision maps to measure progress

·         Holding annual reviews for pupils with statements of SEN or EHC plans

·         Parent meetings and providing Inclusion Passports which set out the support for individual children and are updated termly
How do we handle complaints from parents of children with SEN about provision made at the school?
Complaints about SEN provision in our school should be made to the class teacher and/or Senco in the first instance. They will then be referred to the school’s complaints policy.

The parents of pupils with disabilities have the right to make disability discrimination claims to the first-tier SEND tribunal if they believe that our school has discriminated against their children. They can make a claim about alleged discrimination regarding:

·         Exclusions

·         Provision of education and associated services

·         Making reasonable adjustments, including the provision of auxiliary aids and services

Who can young people and parents contact if they have concerns?
If parents or young people have any concerns they can contact the class teacher or Senco to discuss these.
What support services are available to parents?
The school has a Family Liaison Officer who will support parents through signposting to the relevant support networks or referring to in school support which the school provides. The type of support allocated and signposted will be dependent on need.
Where can the LA’s local offer be found? How have we contributed to it?
The Local Authority’s Local Offer can be viewed here:

Please ask within school for paper copies of information on this website should you need it.